SSA is reminding employers on several issues: SSA PIN reminders
2007 Changes to the EFW2 & EFW2C
Social Security has changed the name of publications Magnetic Media Reporting and Electronic Filing of W-2 Information (MMREF-1), and Magnetic Media Reporting and Electronic Filing of W-2c Information (Correction of W-2 Information) (MMREF-2) to Specifications for Filing Forms W-2 Electronically (EFW2), and Specifications for Filing Forms W-2c Electronically correction of W-2 Information (EFW2C), respectively.
Record Changes for the EFW2 (formerly MMREF-1):
- A new optional Code RV State Total Record has been added.
- A new field, Software Vendor Code, has been added to the Code RA Record (positions 20-23).
- The Civil Status field has been removed in the Code RO Record (position 265) and has been replaced with a blank field.
Record Changes for EFW2C (formerly MMREF-2):
- A new optional Code RCV State Total Record has been added.
- A new field, Software Vendor Code, has been added to the Code RCA Record (positions 21-24).
SSA PIN reminders
In October 2007, the term PIN in the BSO suite of services will be changed to User ID? During the transition period, there will be reference to both PIN and User ID (PIN/User ID). If you already have a PIN, you will not need to register for a User ID, they are equivalent.
You can register for a PIN/User ID, Password and user roles at any time during the year.
If you are registering for a PIN/User ID for an 밪?corporation and you receive a Form W-2, you will need to register as an employee. If you don뭪 receive a Form W-2, you will need to register as self-employed.
It is important to make sure that employees no longer authorized to use BSO do not have an active PIN/User ID. There are two ways to deactivate a PIN/User ID.
- Online go to www.socialsecurity.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm and login to remove access to BSO. Note: You can remove only those service(s) to which you have access. If you remove access to any service(s) in error, you will need to re-request access on the Request Access to BSO Services page.
- By phone, call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-6270 between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.
You should deactivate a PIN/User ID by phone if an employee leaves the company. Remember, the PIN/User ID belongs to the company, not the employee.
You should deactivate a PIN/User ID by phone if an employee no longer requires a service(s) in BSO.
You may deactivate some or all access to BSO.
E-Verify is a free government service to verify, via the Internet, the employment eligibility status of newly-hired employees. E-Verify (formerly known as the Basic Pilot/Employment Eligibility Verification Program) is administered by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The goals of E-Verify are to reduce unauthorized employment, minimize verification-related discrimination, be quick and non-burdensome to employers, and protect the privacy and civil liberties of employees. For more information visit: https://www.vis-dhs.com/employerregistration. (SSA W-2 News, August 14, 2007.)
For more information on this and other topics, consult the Visit our News Library.
Visit our News Library to read more news stories.